Winter blues getting you down? Looking for some inspiration? Want to make 2013 the year that you finally have the yard of your dreams?
Wel, l take a few moments to read this post and hopefully this will get you headed in the right direction...
I meet with a lot of my clients in the winter to start brainstorming and planning the upcoming years plantings...design plans...projects...
This frees them up in the summer to be outside doing the things they love...and also gives me plenty of time to create the perfect plan for their yard..and to have plenty of time to scout out the best deals..and to make sure we get your plants before the nurseries run out of stock...
Winter is the perfect time to start planning your landscaping projects.
Here are 9 steps you (or we) can take to prepare for our meeting (or if you
1) Take pictures of your landscape both from the inside looking out and from the road looking towards your house. I can use these pictures to help you to complete your "seasonal palette"of shrubs/plants/trees etc...Take pictures in all 4 seasons. I can customize the timing of leaf color, bloom time..and if you are interested in attracting birds..I can suggest trees/shrubs that are perfect for that also....
2) Locate a base plan of your property if you have one. Architects drawing? Surveyors map? This will come in handy when we meet to get the bigger picture of your property and to be certain of property boundaries.
3) Start a folder a begin to put pictures of plants you like...or design ideas you notice in a magazines (Inspiration Folder) Dream big...think out side the box for this one...
4) Make a list of 5 of your top landscaping priorities. (Examples: Privacy, Edible gardens, reducing amount of grass, increasing sunlight, more shade, more color, pool, themes (english cottage garden, japanese garden,etc....
5) What do you want to do in your landscape? Relax, Entertain, Enjoy the scenery, appreciate the plants/wildlife?
6) How much time can you devote to your landscape?
High maintenance? ( 3 times a week)
Medium Maintenance (1-4 times per month)
Low maintenance (5-7 times a year)
7) What do you want your landscape to look like? Traditional? Lots of flowers? Funky and fun? Calm and reflective? Summer Retreat? Tropical?
8) How do you want your landscape to feel? Calm and Peaceful? Rejuvenated? Energetic and Positive? Private?
9) Set a budget. Get an approximate idea of what you would like to spend and have that figure ready for when we meet.
Surely this will take a little time...but its worth it....you will have years and years of enjoyment from it....and like so many things in life...you get out of it...what you put into it....
Studies have also shown that improving "curb appeal' for properties can increase value by as much at 10%.
Even if you have not completed any of the above steps its still ok to contact me and would be happy to get you started and provide a framework from which you can work with.
Call me today at 413-348-4505 to set up your free initial (Approx 30 minutes) consult (Lenox, Stockbridge, Lee, West StockBridge and Richmond) A travel fee may apply to other areas.